Saturday, September 13, 2008

knitting The Shawl

More of the August report---

Months ago my mother and I were talking about about the variety of knitting and yarn today! She was once a knitting instructor when there the world of knitting was much smaller and there was no internet. I said the last thing I could imagine was lace knitting. And she said it would be nice to have a lace shawl, not to be contrary, of course. Hmmm...perfect idea for her upcoming birthday. How hard would it be? She sent me a pattern clipped from a vintage Vogue knitting magazine--- written instructions for a leaf-patterned stole...except there was a error in the pattern.

You don't really want to read the details of my indecision and false starts, so let's just say four yarn selections later and a change of patterns I have finished The Shawl. I probably would have abandoned this project without my knitting pals, Jean and Karen who on a weekly basis solved problems and cajoled me to finish it, or Ravelry where I found many lace-knitting questions answered or without Shannon's scrumptious hand-dyed yarns, first in Teal then in Raspberry Jam. Countless mornings and evenings of knitting and unknitting ended last weekend when I blocked it on my bedroom floor. (I think I love blocking! It's such a revelation!)


Here's a peek at The Shawl, Mom's belated birthday present...don't worry she's already gotten a preview.

2 comments:

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

Mom had better use this a lot, after all your struggles. It is lovely. Can I have one for my birthday (next month)in teal, please?

Sarah

Celena said...

That is gorgeous! I've been looking to start my first lace stole but haven't found the right pattern yet. I think I may use this one. :)

BTW .. wandered onto your blog via ravelry