Monday, January 26, 2009

chairdresser's mannequin


I have this rickety, black ladderback chair that became my muse several years ago. My husband doesn't understand my attachment to this chair, so he puts it in the attic periodically. You can't sit in it, the ash woven seat is broken, the poorly painted black layer exposes the previous layers of paint and it doesn't go with anything else (in his mind).

Rickety chair was adorned in red, rose and pink flannel stitched into serpentine, celosia -like patterns and tousled fringe. Otherwise known as the Strawberry Queen seat and back slip covers, I accessorized it with a little black footstool in a coordinated slip cover (which I couldn't locate to photograph). I featured it at one craft show to inspire people to place orders for Strawberry Queen slip covers for their own chairs, but to my surprise and dismay, people wanted to buy it. I couldn't sell IT with the broken seat and it didn't occur to me then to call it art.

It's NFS, it's my piling station, my photo prop and my muse, and it doesn't belong in the attic, and in preparation for the upcoming red holiday..ta dah!


No comments: